24 June 2009

Rebecca's Caribbean Chicken

This recipe comes courtesy of our friend Rebecca. I am submitting it as she gave it to me; the only change I make is that I usually use fresh pineapple in lieu of canned, and crush some up to create the juice.

Caribbean Chicken

3 large chicken breasts, cut in large chucks
Salt
Pepper
8 oz. can pineapple chunks
Pam
1 tsp. garlic
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. coconut extract
Pinch red pepper
¼ cup packed brown sugar

  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Drain the pineapple juice over this and marinade in the fridge while preparing the remaining ingredients.
  2. Brown the pineapple chunks in a skillet with Pam. Remove to a side plate.
  3. Mix garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, coconut extract and red pepper together.
  4. Lightly brown the chicken in the pineapple juice. If you cook it all the way, it will be too dry in the end. Add the soy sauce mix and sprinkle with sugar. Turn the heat to medium or med-low, and reduce until the liquid mixture is thick and gooey. This will cook the chicken the rest of the way.
  5. Serve with rice. Zatarain’s Caribbean Rice is a terrific companion.

1 comment:

Lisa M Ferrer said...

LOL -I suspect I've gotten you on a chicken salad kick, eh? I'll have to try this one soon.