22 June 2009

Faux Phillys

I was craving Philly Cheesesteaks but too lazy and too broke to run out to the grocery. We did have plenty of onions and mozzarella cheese, but we did not have steak rolls or the thinly sliced steak. I put my thinking cap on, looked around the kitchen and decided to be creative for a quick and easy supper.

I had tons of red potatoes -ya gotta love a potato that needs no peeling. ;D I had some flour tortillas and a 2 lb package of ground beef. I decided we were having Faux Phillys. Not the healthiest dinner and nothing fancy, but a good cheap and easy meal. The kids loved it and even my hubby who's not fond of ground beef enjoyed it. :D

Faux Phillys

Ingredients:

Ground beef or ground chuck
Onions sliced thinly in rings (small amount of olive oil for sauteeing)
Diced Green Peppers (if you're a green pepper eater -I'm definitely not)
Mozzarella Cheese -shredded
Flour Tortillas

I like to Sautee my onions separately so I don't lose onions when I drain the beef AND so my onions don't absorb too much of that saturated fat. While the onions (and peppers if you like) are cooking, crumble your beef into a pan and brown -you can go ahead and salt and pepper if you like, I'm not big on salting foods. When onions and beef are cooked to your liking, turn off heat and begin assembling your Faux Phillys.

Preheat over to 350. First mix together your onions and beef (and peppers if so inclined). Next sprinkle a very small amount of mozz. on your tortilla, just slightly left of center -leaving at least a half to an inch of space from all edges. Over the cheese place a couple of tablespoons of beef/onion mixture. Sprinkle a little more cheese. Now you will fold it. Beginning by folding up a lip from the bottom. This lip will prevent your ooey-gooey good stuff from slipping out into your lap or down the front of your new shirt (yeah, it always seems to happen to me when I'm wearing something new). Next fold the left flap over the meaty-oniony-cheesy goodness and roll up. Lay seam side down on a foil covered cookie sheet. Make as many as you like and then cover sheet with foil. Place in preheated oven for ten to fifteen minutes -just long enough to melt the cheese nicely and put a crisp edge on the tortilla.

Oven-Roasted Red Potatoes

Ingredients:

Diced Red Potatoes (depending on the size I use around 8 to 10 -but we love 'em leftover too)
Diced Onion (one large)
Chili Powder (to your taste and I use about a Tbsp (we REALLY like chili powder -one that contains salt)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
A few Tbsp Olive Oil

Preheat over to 425

Pour potatoes into a large ziplock bag or a large stainless steel bowl (depending on how much you feel like cleaning up afterward). Add onions and seasonings. Drizzle Olive Oil over the top. Either zip the bag and shake or stir thoroughly. Dump into either a disposable baking pan or a a baking dish. Cook 45 minutes to one hour. At one hour mine are slightly crispy, which is what I prefer, but some like them softer.

Okay, now after all those onions, just don't breathe too heavily on anyone. LOL Enjoy. Cheap and easy movie night dinner with minimal clean up.


No comments: