04 July 2015

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies

My son and I love these cookies. It is based on this recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod, a beautiful and inspiring blog. I like to substitute apple sauce for oils, so this is how I make them. We made a batch this morning, using some tired zucchini I found on clearance at Kroger (I make a point of seeing what's on $0.99 produce clearance whenever I go. There are some great deals to be found!). Today I added white chips as well as semi-sweet chocolate ones; it was a nice change. I don't like zucchini in general, but in baked goods it is magical, and makes us think that we are eating "healthy."

Ingredients: 1 cup unbleached self rising flour (I like White Lily) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup applesauce (or 1 single serve cup) 1/2 cup dark brown sugar 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1 large egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup shredded zucchini (More works as well. Today I used 3 small zucchinis; about 1 1/2 cups) 2 cups old fashioned oats 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (Dark chocolate chips are lovely; toss in extra white chips if you like them!) 1 cup walnut pieces (or almonds, pecans, whatever nuts you have)

Directions: 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray baking sheets with nonstick spray. 2. Beat together sugars, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. 3. Add flour and oats until well mixed. Stir in zucchini, chips, coconut, and nuts until combined. 4. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheet. 5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges and set. (Increasing the amount of zucchini may extend baking time to 15-20 minutes.) 6. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

No comments: