27 June 2009

Caldillo

My Brother-in-Law is visiting next week to help my husband....we helped him remodel his house and he's coming to help us. I don't know how long he'll be able to stay, but he's a good eater. He brought me the bare bones of this recipe from El Paso/New Mexico travels and I found some suggestions at BigOven.com to create a final product. It's really very easy & pretty cheap if you adapt the recipe to what pork you can advantageously get on sale or special for your region...like the marinated pork fajita packs that are available in west Texas. If poblanos are cheaper in produce, I have very successfully substituted those. My husband likes to roast the chiles....I know they taste better but I think he also likes to play with fire. Sometimes, I hearty chop everything because the baby is pulling on me and I got to get it started, but if you take the time to chop/dice the pork, potatoes, and chiles all no larger than 1/2"....oooooh, my.

1 1/2 pound Pork tenderloin -- cut in cubes
1/4 teaspoon White pepper
2 tablespoon Olive oil or canola oil
1 Bay leaf
1 large Onion -- roughly chopped
3 medium Potatoes -- peeled and roughly chopped
1 large Jalapeno pepper -- seeded and diced
1 cup Water
2 Anaheim pepper -- seeded and roughly chopped
1 can Chicken broth -- (12 oz)
3 cloves Garlic -- minced
1 can Beef broth -- (12 oz)
1 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
1 Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes -- (14.5 ounce) undrained
1 teaspoon Salt

Brown the pork in oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, and spices. Saute until the vegetables are tender and add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.


No comments: